Saturday, March 15, 2008

Easter Celebrations

Once again we are approaching Semana Santa (Holy Week) and Easter here in Guatemala. Since Guatemala has its roots in Spanish Catholicism, this holiday has been adopted fiercely by the locals. In fact, the whole week and Good Friday, in particular, are almost more significant and widely celebrated than Easter Sunday. Although only about 50% of the country is actually Catholics, the entire week is a holiday for children and their parents to celebrate, reflect, and appreciate the summertime. Therefore, Guatemalan Adventures is taking this time to relax and travel.


Due to the fame and beauty of the colonial city, La Antigua, (the most "Catholic" city in Guatemala) we will be traveling there once again. This is THE place to be during Semana Santa because there are various processions all week long, ending with Friday as a climax for this whole lent season. Most of the locals make intricate and colorful "carpets" or alfombras on the cobblestone streets for Jesus to walkover (or at least is carried over by the procession). These carpets are made with a variety of elements including dyed sawdust, flowers and petals, fruit, and vegetables.


Before heading out of town, we want to wish everybody a very happy Easter. May Jesus bless your lives and make this a special time for you and your family.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

Hey guys!!!!

How are you?! I'm really surprised with all your adventures! I envy your experience but I hope that you can explain me in person early.

I know, I have to send you my testimony in Guatemala. I'm trying to translate the text spanish to english, but is really difficult for me and text is quite long. But i'll still trying and finally i'll send you in both languages.

I miss you a lot.

Kisses.