Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Our Boy Gets His First Kill...Almost

I have to share this story for a few reasons, the first being that I won't forget where I was this year during the Pro Bowl, the second being that I was so proud of our little cat Nieve, and the third because it was just so funny.


So there I was this Sunday watching the Pro Bowl (hat tip to the NFC and the Green Bay Packers coaching staff that took home the win, along with Brett Farve who got the most votes of any player, but turned down the opportunity to play) when all of a sudden there was a bird flying through our bedroom. Right behind it was of course our cat, Nieve. Feathers flying everywhere, I tried to catch the bird so I could get it out of our room and get back to the game of course, but Nieve had no intention of letting me. Pinning the bird in the corner of our bedroom window, Nieve beat me to it. I had almost reached the bird and Nieve when wanting to get some more fun out of his toy, he let it go, sending the bird flying out of room and on to the landing. Once again the race was on and once again, Nieve beat me to the punch, promptly snatching the bird and placing it in his jaws. Proud of his prize he brought it onto our bed to show Mommy and Daddy what a good boy he was. However, it seems that Nieve may be more of a catcher than killer as he just held the bird in his mouth. I imagine with some more time he would have made a good meal and a good mess out of the bird right there on our bed. Forcing Nieve's jaws open I got the bird out, not sure in what kind of shape it was in. Taking it outside I opened my hand and as sure as Old Faithful, the bird flew off. Proud of our little guy I would have let him eat it if it was injured or couldn't survive, but it looks like he will have to wait a bit for his first kill (other than the flies he catches and eats everyday). He continued to search the room, moewing like crazy for his bird, not knowing to where it had gone, but settled down after a dozen treats and a lot of praise. Everyday since Nieve has been spending hours on the roof, laying in wait for his next potential toy to come around.

No comments: