Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reflections on a Language

I was thinking this morning about the differences between Spanish and English and the strengths and weaknesses of the two. Spanish is very easy to understand in that they have different words for everything. For example, it is a different word for to shoot a basket (basketball) than to shoot a gun. Also, Spanish would never use read and read for past and present tense like we do in English. I bet you thought I made a typo there until you finished the sentence. Am I right? anyway, English is also a lot easier in some ways as it doesn't use feminine and masculine words or a different verb form for every subject, I, You, We, They, She, You all (plural you). What brought on this thought was thinking of possessive verbs and adjectives. English has Spanish beat by far in this category. For example: To say "at our friend's house" in Spanish would be "en la casa de nuestros amigos". It is really much longer and a pain in the butt. It really made me wonder who invented the "apostrophe s" and can I shake their hand. This one's for you Apostrophe S Man (in the beer commercial voice)!

No comments: