Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Grandmother Nancy Jane Snow

Nancy Jane Snow
February 13, 1922 - June 5, 2007

Today I got word that my Grandmother Nancy Jane Snow passed away in Vermont. Although I've been disconnected with her the last few years, due to Alzheimer's taking over her mind, I am still saddened by the news.

I have many great memories of Grandma Snow. When I was seven years old I lived with my family in her house for 6 months in good ol' Cedar Hills.
And, later on we'd visit her often since she was in the neighborhood. When I was young we'd walk to the duck pond after getting day old bread from the store so we could feed the ducks. I always thought her house was boring because she didn't have toys except for some plastic animals, playing cards, and some painted/carved gourds that I pretended were different things. She was very musically talented and would play for me and my siblings songs out of our favorite big green book full of folk songs like What Shall We do with the Drunken Sailor and I've Been Working on the Railroad. She taught me some songs as well, but I had to make sure to take good care of the baby grand piano, and never put anything on it. She taught Zach and I how to play Blackjack with chips on the card table in her living room. And we'd also get into some good triple solitaire battles!

She always loved nature and the environment, often donating trees in my name for my Christmas present...even as a child. She was always very generous to us, even if she wasn't super loving about it. I know that she'd be very proud of me today...being so well-traveled as she was. I've wished over the last few years that I could share my adventures with her and talk about the places I've seen. I hope she can look down on me today and cheer me on from wherever she is.

Thanks Grandma for all the great battles of scrabble at your house. For letting us use the Chinese playing cards. For sharing your house on so many Christmases, Birthdays, Thanksgivings, and more. Thank you so much for making it to my high school graduation. For turning me on to Ak-mak crackers and putting rice vinegar on my salads. For sharing your futon beds and backyard fort.

I've appreciated your wisdom, feminism, dedication and strength throughout my life. I will not forget you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful and moving little tribute, Britt...and you're right, Grandma would be VERY proud of you today. Never forget that she paved the way for your generation of young women, because back in her day, women just "followed their man" around.

It still blows me away to think that Grandma graduated from law school 38 years ago this month (I was there)...at the same age that I am today (47). Wow!

She was some woman - and a great matriarch for all the right reasons.

Thanks for putting this out there. Luv you Britt!

DAD

Anonymous said...

This was the first blod thing I have read of yours....very true and genuine words. Nice to read your memories.. It has been hard a'n I will miss her(as I already have the last few years) SO MUCH!!! =)