Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nothing Like a Stabbing in the Morning...


A word of advice...PAY YOUR DEBTS in Guatemala! As you should know, my experience at the Bomberos has been pretty fun, as well as exciting. Everyday I am getting more and more accustomed to working in the emergency services field. This morning as I was waiting around for Sunday roll call with a few other firemen, a young man came running toward the station out of breath. Speaking so quickly I could barely understand, I at least made out that something bad had happened two blocks up the street. About 5 of us piled in an ambulance and sped off, donning gloves as quickly as possible. When we got to the scene, a man was laying on the side of the rode bleeding from his chest. We threw him on the stretcher (almost literally) and sped to the hospital. It seems he had owed someone money and couldn't pay, so the person stabbed him in the chest (if they did that to people who have ARMs that are adjusting, I bet we wouldn't have our little mortgage crisis in the States). Once at the hospital it was pretty neat seeing them check for internal bleeding, clean the wound, etc. All I can say is that is a crazy way to start your morning. I guess the victim would agree with me. Luckily, about the only better place to get stabbed is outside of the hospital and with our response and delivery time being about 5 minutes, he should be okay. Welcome to Guatemala...

No comments: